Thursday, October 31, 2013

September 15 2013

September 15th, I woke up excited.  It was six-fifty-five, and everyone was still asleep.  Awesome.  I crept down to the deck, and stood by the alarm clock, waiting anxiously. 
The second the alarm clock read 7:00, Eugene emerged from his shelf, saw me, and gave me that special little grin of his.  Wow.  He had really come out of his shell with me.  I guess it just goes to show that sometimes, all someone needs is someone to talk to. 
"Good morning," I chirped, and he returned the greeting.  "Where do you wanna go?" 
"I'm up for anything," he told me, following as I turned to start descending to the floor. 

I dreaded the jump from the chair to the floor.  Yesterday, I'd almost fallen on my face!  I let Eugene go first, hoping he would turn away and I could jump without being made fun of.  Not quite my luck.  Eugene jumped down, looking a hundred times more graceful than I ever would...and then stepped away, turning to look at me. 
Well...here goes.  Time to show Eugene how horribly awkward I am.  I made the jump; landed on the floor on my feet.  That's a plus!  But then I stumbled backwards, and tripped over my own hair.  And fell on my backside...right in front of Eugene. 
Here it comes.  He'll start laughing at me...and who wouldn't?  My face was flaming hot, and I wanted to just bury my face in my hands and disappear.  I scrambled around and stood before I risked a glance at his face. 
"You okay?"  He asked, and even though there was a trace of a smile on his face, he wasn't making fun of me. 
"Y-yeah.  Sorry...I'm a clumsy fool," I laughed.  "Don't mind me." 
"Hey, that happens," he gave me that grin of his, again, and I wished he'd stop grinning like that.  I was starting to really, really like him, even though I knew there was no way he'd ever want to be good friends with me...and that grin just made me like him more.  And his personality and kindness?....wow. 
"S-so, ah...what do you want to..to talk about?"  I managed, looking away from him. 
"Anything you want to talk about, m'lady," he said - I could hear his smile - , and I giggled, looking back up to see his face.
"I'm not very ladylike, though," I laughed, and he shrugged. 
"You're just a little awkward.  That's fine.  I'm awkward, too,"
I smiled at him and we walked in silence for a few minutes. 
Surprisingly enough, he was the first to speak up again.  "You didn't get into any trouble last night?"  "Nope.  I told you - I'm invisible.  Nobody noticed I was gone, and nobody noticed when I came back.  This time, being invisible was actually something I was glad about," I said. 
"You sound like you've been invisible to others for awhile?" 
"Like...my whole life."  I cleared my throat,  hoping to change the subject.  "I'm sure you can relate?  Oh, look out the window at the sky!  It's so clear and pretty!"  I exclaimed, gesturing as it caught my eye.  
He looked, and made a hum of appreciation towards the clear sky, but he turned back and watched me.  "You're really sensitive about your past, aren't you?"
"Y-yeah," my voice cracked. 
"Sorry," he told me, and I knew he was starting to withdraw back into his shell. 
"No, no!  It's fine," I said, giving him a smile, which I hoped was encouraging.  "Um...What kind of stuff do you like to do?" 
"W-well...I enjoy walking and reading.  I don't mind listening to some songs, either," he said. 
"Cool!"  I exclaimed.  "I like the same stuff.  Sometime, we'll have to get together and read." 
"I'd like that," he said, "it'd be fun." 
I grinned, and we chatted for awhile more before I realized it was almost eight. 
"Oh, no!"  I exclaimed.  "I need to get back up there!   I'll...Ohhh, this is bad," I groaned, realizing we were halfway across the room.  And it was seven-fifty-six.
He gave me a wide-eyed stare.  "Oh, that's..that's bad..."
"Yeah...ah...I-I'll see you later, if you want?  Um...thanks for walking with me and putting up with  my weirdness.  Bye!"  I exclaimed, scooping up my hair so  I could attempt running without tripping. 
I didn't wait to hear his response, I just made a run for it. 

I dove up onto the shelf at 8:04, and I tried to conceal my out-of-breath heaving.  Everyone was still asleep.  Whew. 


No comments:

Post a Comment