Monday, November 11, 2013

November 3, 2013


Over the next 11 days, after Punzie got a glimpse of my affection towards Eugene, she truly did make my life miserable. Cruel jokes on every turn between her and Punzie, trying to bring me down, saying horrible stuff about Eugene, and just being mean.  Zelia joined in, of course.
November 3rd was the worst of their cruelness.
I got up bright and early, at 6:45. Pascal was still asleep, so I left him on the shelf, figuring I'd come back for him later. He didn't take too kindly to being woken up before he was ready to get up...and really, who likes getting woken up before they're ready?
I crept down to the deck and started for the chair, planning on sitting at the window for awhile.
But then Eugene heard me.
How had he even heard my attempt to tiptoe to the chair?!
"Hey, that you, Rapunzel?"
I swallowed a gasp, surprised to hear him at first, but then I cleared my throat and turned towards the shelf. "Um..yeah."
"What're you up to this early?"
"Nothing much. Did I wake you?"
"Nope. If you want to come in and sit, you can." He appeared at the edge of his shelf and then stepped out on the deck. He gave me that grin of his, and I smiled back, going over to him and following him into his shelf. "Feel free to sit, if you want." He told me, gesturing towards his wicker chair.
"I'm good," I told him, and he reached over and gave me a quick, but warm, hug. "What was that for? Are you glad I didn't want to sit?" I joked.
"Just because," he winked, and I laughed through my nose.
"Not like I mind or anything..." I said, clearing my throat. "But anyway. What're you planning on doing today?"
"I was just going to ask you that. Not much of anything," he said. "What about you?"
"I'm steering clear of the shelf today...I'm being subjected to Zelia and Punzie's wrath, once more. Yay me!" I exclaimed sarcastically.
"Sorry..." he gave me a sympathetic look.
"It's not your fault they're jerks." I told him. "It's more like mine for going against their silly rule. But I think it's worth it."
He chuckled. "I do, too. But then again, I don't have to deal with them all the time."
"Oh, they're not that awful, I suppose...I'm probably overreacting."
"If they're anything like what they were like towards me, you're not overreacting. I've never seen you overreact, unless it's over something you did."
I laughed. "Then yeah. I overreact a lot."
"Which I don't get," he said. "You're not that horribly awkward."
Just as he said that, I noticed how close we were still standing, and I backed up a few steps...stepped on my hair..and almost went over backwards. He grabbed my arms and hauled me back upright and back towards him, setting his hands on my shoulders.
I laughed, my face getting hot. "Still think that?"
He chuckled. "Yes. Definitely...maybe." He winked to let me know he was joking, and I giggled.
When my giggles subsided, my eyes met his and I immediately felt a warmth wash over me.
And then there was the bloodcurdling scream.
I gave him a wide-eyed stare, and he gave the same to me. And then I heard yelling.
Punzie. 
Pascal!
I gasped and whirled away. "Pascal! I left him up there because he was still asleep, and-oh no!" I raced from the shelf to the alarm clock, jumping up onto it.
And then the stupid alarm clock started to tip. Eugene, who was right behind me, slammed his foot down on the alarm clock on the other side, steadying it, and then he gave me a boost to the shelf while he was at it.
He propelled me right into Zelia.
Zelia fell down, and I flopped right over her.
"Sorry!" I gasped, rolling away from her. I ended up right in front of Punzie. She dropped Pascal onto my chest.


"New rule, sweetie-pie. No reptiles."
"Wh-why?" I asked, bewildered and confused.
"That..that THING woke me up, by sticking his tongue in my ear!" She yelled, still towering over me. She shuddered, as if reliving the obviously horrible experience.
"Oh, it's not that-"
"Yes, it IS. Now, either you get rid of that..that beast, or you both leave!" She glanced up and her expression grew darker. "And you! I told you to never-"
"Leave him alone!" I yelled, standing up. "Leave us all alone!"
"No...I'd suggest you leave." She gave me a deadly glare, and I felt myself backing up. Anna and Elsa gave me wide-eyed stares, and Elsa started to put a hand over her mouth.  Piper and Emma stared silently as well.


I pushed down the tears urging to burst out.
I turned around and brushed past Eugene. I felt him reach for my arm, but I didn't stop.
I knew if he'd do anything to comfort me, I'd burst into tears, and I couldn't cry. I just couldn't.
Stumbling down to the floor, I leaned up against a leg of the chair, curled into a ball, and took a deep breath, willing the lump in my throat to go away.
I took Pascal off of my shoulder and held him in my hands, staring at him. "Oh, buddy....what do I do? I can't..I can't get rid of you. I won't!" I cried, my stomach twisting.
 


And then I felt a hand rest on my head a second before sliding down my hair and landing on my shoulder. "Sorry about what happened up there."
I gasped in surprise, but then I looked up to see Eugene standing behind me. He gave me a concerned look before sitting down by me.
"It's fine." I lied.
"Rapunzel, you and I both know that it definitely is not fine. Y'know, you don't have to hide your emotions from me - I'd feel better if you were truthful and open about them." He gave me a pensive stare.
Somehow, that stare made me open up. "I don't know what to do or where to go, Eugene...I can't give up Pascal! He's been my only friend for so, so long..."
He looked away for a few seconds before looking back at me. "I could take him. You could bring him to me bright and early in the morning, and then you could take him back at night, once everyone's asleep. Nobody would know - nobody'd have to know!"
I stood up. "Thanks, Eugene...I really appreciate it, but you can't...it's too much. He's my responsibility. And if you would, I'd be wanting to see him all the time, and I'd be a pest, and I know dolls can only handle me in small doses," I gave a short, humorless laugh.
 


"I'm serious," he told me. "It's no big deal." He stood and watched me pace.
"It's...it just wouldn't work. You'd get sick of me - probably sooner rather than later, too. Everyone does-"
He carefully snagged my arm, and I whirled to face him, surprised.
 



"I'm serious. It's not that big of an issue, really, Rapunzel. And I wouldn't mind if you'd be a pest. I'd have someone to talk to, then! I literally have nobody but you to talk to. And I don't think I'll get sick of you anytime soon."
I met his eyes. "Really? You'd do that?"
"Yeah, of course I would,"
I sighed, undecisive. "I-I dunno....it's just too much to expect-"
He reached over and brushed the hair from my face. "I don't mind at all. It'd be fun - I think, anyway."
My heart squeezed. "And my next question...how will I ever repay you?" I asked before I tackled him into a relieved hug. When I pulled away, he gave me a grin.

"You just repaid me." He chuckled before pulling me close again.
I sighed and rested my head on his shoulder. "Thank you...thank you so, so much. For everything."
"But of course, m'lady," he whispered, and I laughed.
He held me close for a few more seconds, and then I pulled away. "What time should I bring him to you tomorrow?"
"Well...I'm up anytime after six" - when my nose wrinkled slightly, he laughed -"but anytime will do."
"Okay," I said. "Thanks...again."
"No problem; no problem at all," he gave me that grin of his.

Honestly, that guy is the sweetest doll I think I've ever met.  Not many beings - people or doll - would take on pet-sitting a chameleon every day until who-knows-when, for someone they've only known for about a month and a half! 

No comments:

Post a Comment