Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter

Happy Easter, everyone...I hope you all have a nice day.  Today, I got to see the girls. 
As soon as I saw her, I flagged her down. 
"Can I see the girls today?" 
"I'm in a hurry--" she trailed off as she hurriedly brushed through her hair.  She must've been getting ready for church, but I plowed ahead. 
"But we had all this stuff planned for them for today...and I can't give them that, but I could at least see them.  Please?"  I hated how my throat cracked as I thought about what we'd planned: a movie day, possibly going outside, and I had found a pony in a bin for the girls to ride, which was something Audrey had wanted to do for a long time.
She started to shake her head, but then she tsked her tongue and snatched me up, making a run for where the girls were at.

As soon as I saw them and they saw me, Audrey and Casey jumped up and ran over to leap in my arms.  I grabbed them both and cuddled them close. 
"You still want us?"  Casey asked, looking up at me with her wide, green eyes. 
"Oh, girls..." I sighed, sitting down.  "Yes.  Of course I do...your momma...there are a lot of things you can't understand with all this, but just never fight with your sister, please...okay?  Mom's...when she fell, she got knocked unconscious bad enough that she can't remember anything.  She can remember things from before she came here, but she can't remember you guys...she can't even remember me, right now.  I'm going to try hard to get her back, but it's going to take some time, sweeties...I'm so sorry...if I could--"
"It's okay, Dad," Audrey said, cuddling her head up underneath my chin.  "I think it's sort of like a fairytale...but really sad." 
I hugged them a bit closer.  "Yeah...I tried to persuade Tangled Fan to let me and Zelia take care of you till Mom came back around, but she wouldn't let us." 
Audrey slumped, and I knew she was terribly disappointed.  But Casey straightened and looked me in the eye.  "I guess you do need to focus everything on winning Momma over again...so it makes sense."
I kissed both of their foreheads before I asked where Jordan was.
"Asleep...she's over there," Audrey pointed, and I nodded. 

I spent the entire day with the girls, and Tangled Fan even brought the older two a few small bits of chocolate for them to nibble on--which they enjoyed greatly.  I played whatever game they wanted to play, held Jordan as much as I could, and promised them I would try to come visit them more. 

It's gonna be a long journey.  It more than tore my heart apart to leave them, even though I had just put them all to sleep for the night...but that's okay.  I was getting used to the feeling of my heart shredding...leaving my girls....leaving my wife...yeah.  I can do this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment