Wednesday, May 14, 2014

More storms, a movie, and a blog takeover

Last night, there was another storm, and it was even worse than the last round...it started up at about eleven thirty, with constant lightning...fun, fun.  When the thunder started getting closer, I promptly went to the divider and tapped on it, asking if she was awake.  When the answer was a quiet squeak of a yes, I didn't bother saying anything, I just headed over to her side.
"Storm getting to you?" I asked as soon as I knelt beside her.
"Oh! Yeahh, you have perfect timing," she sighed as she pulled the blankets off of her head. "Wow.  It was getting too hot to be doing that."
"I suppose so.  It's been pretty muggy out lately," I told her, helping her smooth her hair out of her face.  I didn't even really think about it, I just did it...she didn't make a big deal of it, so I suppose it didn't bother her..whew.
"Yeah....I'm sorry, this is just so stupid and childish of me...!" She whispered, but then a loud thunderclap shook the windows, and she flew upright, grabbing my arm.
I put my arms around her and did the same thing I did yesterday....held her till the storm calmed down.  As I did, I told her that her fear, once more, was not stupid.  She would tell me in time why she was so afraid.
Well, sometime was last night, in hushed whispers.
"I was always a little scared of storms, but one day, when I was in Tennessee, there was a really horrible one, and a tornado just barely missed us.  I was so scared...and now they just terrify me.  So there you have it.."
Whoa.  My girl could have been sucked up by a tornado.  We never...wow.
"Wow...you have a right to be scared, then.  Wow,"
Pascal squirmed on Rapunzel's lap, and we both watched him silently.
When the lightning and thunder were gone, she didn't pull out of my arms right away. "Thanks for staying with me, Eugene  ...if you knew--" she broke off, and I wanted to ask her what she was about to say, but I didn't.  "If you, ah, knew how much it meant to me...thank you."
I told her it was no problem, and then she gave me a calculating look before kissing my jaw.
And with that, she told me goodnight, curled up on her side with Pascal, and snuggled under the blanket.
Well then.
I said goodnight to her back, and then I kissed the top of her head before I left for my side.
And do I even need to tell you that I was mentally freaking out?  Probably not, right???



Today, Rapunzel came over around one.  I had already talked with Tangled Fan, so she said she would bring the laptop and DVD back around one-thirty, so we wouldn't have to hunt her down.
She greeted me with a shy smile, her eyes uncertain.  She was likely still thinking about last night's little kisses, and she was terribly awkward.  I did my best to just act like it was no biggie, and she quickly calmed down.

We just sat and talked for a bit.  Nothing big, no pressing matters, no Flynn, no talk about how worthless she was.  It was nice!  When Tangled Fan came back with the laptop, she--Rapunzel, that is--flopped onto her belly, propped her head up on her arms, kicked her legs up in the air, and stayed that way for the whole movie.  When "I See the Light" came on, I couldn't help but start humming.  It's just in a Disney doll's plastic to sing, of course. I didn't want to sing in front of her.
  But when she realized I was humming -- which didn't take her long--, she grinned and glanced over at me. 
"You know..you can sing if you want," she winked, and I decided to tease. 
"Okay.  I will if you sing the duet with me,"
She looked tempted, which really surprised me.  But then she just shook her head.  "Nahh, I'll pass.  But you should sing -- I just don't want to ruin the song with my terrible voice." 
"Your voice is just fine!"  Sure, she couldn't hit the "it's like the sky is newwww" part, but the rest was fine. 
"How do you know that?"  she quirked a brow and turned away from the laptop to look at me again.
Ohh boy. 
Did I really just slip up?!
Stupid.  Stupid, stupid, stupid!  "I figure your voice is just fine, rather." 
"O-oh," she gave me a distracted smile and turned back to the movie.

Fast-forward to the end of the movie, and I was trying not to cry.  Two whole, unmanly tears had already slipped down my cheeks, but I didn't want to wipe them and draw attention to the matter.  I just...the thought that Rapunzel could've died when she fell was still all too real, and the ending just reminds me of that -- and that I could very well have ended up losing my best girl. 
When the weird little pub thug tied to the lanterns had drifted up and the laptop screen went black before the credits, Rapunzel rolled onto her back with a sigh, clearly satisfied with the movie. 
"We'll have to do this agai--are you crying?"  she tsked her tongue, sat up, and wiped my cheeks.  "The ending get to you, huh?  It did me, too." 
I chuckled, ducking my head away with embarrassment.  "Mm...yeah," 
She smiled, leaning and cocking her head so she could see my face.  "So...thanks for doing this with me today." 
Turning back to her, I grinned and held my hand out.  "It was my pleasure -- nobody I'd rather spend the day with,"
She laughed and took my hand.  "You're so sweet." 

After we talked for awhile, she finally sighed.  "You know...do you know if Tangled Fan would let me use her blog account so I could start a blog?  Silly as it seems, I'd love to start one.  I keep forgetting to ask her."
YES!
I would tell her about the blog -- this blog. 
"Actually, ah...I kinda run a blog, so you could just take it over," I told her. 
"Ohh, no.  I can make my own--but that's so cool that you have one!  Is it fun?" 
"It's interesting, but actually...It'd be really great if you took it over.  I, ah...I hope you don't mind, but I wrote a little about you.  The readers would probably really like to hear from you!"
Translation: Writing is fine, I see why you like it, but take it back please.  There's not a post where I HAVEN'T posted about you, and the readers are probably tired of my boring-ness and want their writer back!!  But then I realized that those old posts were on there...
Hm.
"Really?  I-I guess I don't mind...I mean...it's definitely surprising that you wrote about me, but it's fine.  And you think?" 
"I know they'd love to hear from you.  Just...don't read the old posts, okay?  I don't..I'm shy about dolls I know reading stuff I write."
"Ohh, I'm sure you're a great writer.  But I can respect that!  Thank you so much," she tackled me into a quick hug.  Her eyes were absolutely shining with excitement.  Soo, since we still had the laptop with us, I showed the blog to her and how to post things...as well as how to get a post up without seeing the titles of the other posts that have been done.  Sneaky, I know, but...I don't want her finding out about her past the hard way.  
She asked that we share the blog, so I told her we could--that way I can still update you on the girls and such.
 I just hope that it makes her remember something from before...slim to none chance, but you can always hope, right?  Plus, I'm sure you guys are tired of my writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment