Saturday, January 18, 2014

Eugene's Next Checkup And EXCITING NEWS!!

 This morning, since Tangled Fan was supposed to come check Eugene's leg joints again, but we only knew she was coming 'early', we got up at seven.  Rather, I got up and then woke Eugene up.  :D 
When I got him awake, he rubbed at his eyes, stretched, and then groaned.  "Today's when Tangled Fan's going to check me out...isn't it?" 
I nodded. "Yup, so we'd best get moving!"
Worry instantly clouded my husband's face.  "Ughh.  And I suppose this one'll tell her how I'll be for the rest of my life...seeing as I don't HURT anymore, I just can't balance on my loose joints." 
"It'll be fine, don't worry.  Be optimistic!"  I said, but since he'd said that...now I was worried, too.  Great. 
I stood up and helped him up and over to the chair before I changed my dress and brushed my exceptionally tangled hair.  And by the time I was done with that, I was officially a nervous wreck. 
I came back from behind the lamp and tried not to pace.  I wrung my hands together instead.  Pascal, who was on Eugene's lap, stared at me, whilst Eugene did the same.  I tried to turn away so he couldn't see me freaking out, but then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Eugene start to stand up.  I stuffed my hands behind my back and turned to watch him carefully.  He straightened himself up, slightly quicker than he had been, and then made his way towards me.  He only bobbled once, and that was when he stopped near me.  When he came up to me, he gave my shoulder a squeeze.  "Hey.  It'll be fine, don't you worry, too!"  He gave me what he must've thought was a brave grin, so I grabbed his hand off of my shoulder and held it. 
"I know.  Sorry," I said, slightly embarrassed that he'd been able to tell how nervous I am.
He winked.  "It's all good." 
And then we heard the door open. 
We both took a deep breath (at the same time :D) and waited stiffly for Tangled Fan. 

She gave a lengthy check-up.  When she FINALLY set Eugene down, concluding her examination, she smiled.  "Well...You'll probably be able to work your joints enough to at least get used to them being looser.  Most dolls do lose limb tightness, but it's more gradual than in your case, of course; so just remember that this would've happened someday anyway.  Your limbs will always be kinda loose, but you'll get used to it.  You know what I mean?" 
"Yeah," he told her. "So...I'll get steadier and be able walk okay, but I'll never be perfect.  Right?" 
"Yeah."  She started to turn around, but then she swung back.  "Oh.  While I'm here - in case you didn't notice, I cleaned and rearranged in here.  While I did so, I found a few babies and younger children dolls...I was wondering if you'd be interested in adopting sometime soon here?" 
I gasped, glancing at Eugene with a mix of excitement and nervousness.  He had the same expression, but he gave me a slight nod.  I nodded back and then he said we'd love to start our family now. 
"Great!  Tomorrow works for you to go meet them?"  She asked. 
"Yup.  See you tomorrow.  Thanks," Eugene said. 
When she left, and the door closed, I whirled towards my husband.
"Oh my gosh.  Oh my gosh!"  I exclaimed.  "You're gonna be fine!" 
I grabbed his face in my hands, standing on tiptoe and pulling his face down so I could give him an excited kiss.  He wrapped me up tight in his arms, giving me a sweet kiss in return. 
When our lips parted, he let go of me, and I backed up a couple of steps, not sure what to think or even say. 
"I told you!  I TOLD you!!  Ohhh my goodness gracious.  I can't believe....I'm so relieved, Eugene!"  I exclaimed, and he gave me that grin of his.
"Me, too!  I want to go for a walk.  But I suppose that's not the best idea, right?" 
"No."  I told him, but then I tackled him into another hug that almost knocked him down...oops...  "We'll start working on that physical therapy stuff, and we'll be able to go for walks soon!"  I was so relieved that I couldn't hardly contain my enthusiasm. 
He hugged me tight, chuckling.  "I can't wait.  And what about our soon-to-be expanding family?"
My breath caught at the mention of that.  I looked up at his handsome face, trying to suppress my excited smile. 
"I'm both excited and terrified." 
"Me too," he laughed.  "But everything will work out okay, I'm sure." 
I reached to kiss his jaw.  "Mmhm!  Are we ready for this?" 
He shrugged.  "We'll see..."
I laughed.  "That is NOT a good way to decide if you're ready for something or not!" 
Chuckling, he lost his balance again.  Luckily, I was able to steady him before he fell down. 
"Thanks," he grinned at me, but his happy expression flickered.  I knew he had probably just been reminded that he wasn't going to get 100% better. 
I grabbed his hand and squeezed it.  "So...tomorrow!  Tomorrow we'll start writing another chapter of our life together!"  I said, trying to distract him. 
He realized my motives, and gave me a real smile.  "Yep yep..." He winked, walking over to the chair (on his own!!!) and sitting.  I pulled up a seat by him, and we chatted the majority of the day.  We also started a little bit of the physical therapy exercises.

It didn't hit me until around 11 PM that we were going to be meeting some kiddos tomorrow that may just become the start of our family. 
Safe to say, I couldn't sleep because I was terrified. 
I tried not to toss and turn, because I didn't want to keep Eugene up...so eventually, I just got up and went to pace out on the deck. 
After a good while of pacing, an arm just snaked out, grabbing tight around my waist.  I gasped, whirling around to see my husband. 

"Oh my gosh, Eugene!  Don't do that to me!  And why're you up?  You should still be in bed.  You're gonna be really sore tomorrow if you don't take it easy, you know.  Especially because of the exercises," I warned him. 
"Hmmh.  So be it, then.  I'm sick of sitting around already.  What's wrong - why're you up?" 
Ignoring his question, I asked my own.  "I didn't wake you up, did I?"
From the light of the alarm clock's glowing numbers, I caught his adorable grin. "Not at all."
"Hmm. Well, go back to bed. I'm fine," I told him.
"If you're fine, why are you up? It's because of the adoption meeting, isn't it?" he asked me.
I shrugged. "Just me being me," I said, "so...just go back to bed. I'll come to bed when I'm ready, okay?"
"Nope," he told me, hugging me and kissing my hair. "Let's talk."

I started to tell him, once more, that I was fine and that he needed to get back to bed, but he broke me off by leading me back into the shelf, sitting down on the edge of the bed, and patting the spot beside him.
"There.  I went back to bed." 
"That's not-" I started to disagree, but technically...he HAD gone to bed.  He just hadn't gone to sleep.   I chuckled. "Okay, okay, okay. I am worrying about the adoption."
He gave me a pensive gaze. "What?"
I finally spilled everything....all my concerns, everything. "I know it's just silly...but that's what I'm worrying about."
He reached over, putting an arm comfortably around my shoulders, so I leaned my head on his shoulder. "You know...we can always tell Tangled Fan that we've decided to wait for awhile, if you don't think you're ready yet, hon."
"Nooo, no. I want to adopt now! I want to start our family. I'm just...scared." I whispered the last part, still embarrassed, and he gave my shoulders a squeeze.
"Don't be. I mean, I get why you're worried and scared -- I have my reservations about it as well, truth be told, but it'll turn out fine.  We'll be nervous wrecks no matter WHEN we decide to start our family," he told me.
I nodded silently, feeling slightly better.  And once again, I was thankful for having such an understandable and sweet guy as my best friend and husband, so I reached over and grabbed him up into a tight hug. He chuckled, putting his arms around me in return. When I loosened my grip, he cradled my cheek in his hand, tipping my head up. "What was that for?"
I grinned. "Nothin'." 
After that, the meeting set in for my husband, too, and HE couldn't fall asleep, either!  So as of right now, I'm sitting on the bed with a sleeping Pascal on my lap - for once! -, my husband beside me, and I'm typing this on Tangled Fan's iPod.  I suppose I really should get to sleep, because I won't be able to think straight tomorrow, but how can one possibly go to sleep when something this life-changing, exciting, and simply terrifying is lurking in the mist of tomorrow?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment