Friday, January 3, 2014

January 2nd

Yesterday afternoon, I decided to head up to the other shelf so I could see how Elsa and Anna were holding up. 
Heh. 
Not so well. 
When I went up to the shelf, Elsa was at one end of the shelf, and Anna was at the other.  Kristoff was helplessly by Anna's side as Elsa glared spitefully at them. 
My first thought:  What have I just gotten myself into...?!?!

The day wasn't very eventful at first - except for Punzie and Zelia being on the same shelf, of course...but I just ignored them.  I tried to get the two sisters to speak to one another, but neither would. 
Finally, I pulled Anna aside, around ten PM. 
"Talk to your sister!  You two used to be so close," I hissed in her ear. 
She jerked away.  "No.  If she doesn't want to agree with me...if she doesn't want me to be HAPPY?!  She could go away, and I wouldn't care!  And if YOU are going to be the same way?  Hah!  Same to you!"
I gasped, hurt at her sharp tongue. "Anna...I want you to be happy!  So, so much...I was just saying that maybe Elsa's feeling a bit left out and-"
"I don't care." 
"Anna!  Think for a minute, please!"  I pleaded, appalled by her attitude.  "You don't have to-"
"And you don't have to run around, flaunting your marriage to Eugene, either!  If Elsa can't be happy, she won't be happy!  I'm just fine with Kristoff." 
I didn't flaunt....did I?  "I beg to diff-"
"If you're going to be this way...just leave.  I don't want to see you." And with that, she turned and went to sit with Kristoff. 
I stood there, stock-still, in silence, for a few moments, before I fled. 
I careened back into my shelf, trying desperately to not cry.  I couldn't cry.  And Eugene was asleep, by the looks of things, so I couldn't wake him up.  Anna would get over this...everything would be okay between her, me, and her sister...and....Oh, who am  I kidding?  Ugh! 
I didn't bother with changing into my nightie or brushing out my hair.  I just went to bed. 
After I'd carefully tossed my side of the blankets over myself and curled up on my side, pulling it up to  my chin, I took a deep breath and tried to cool my thoughts.
An arm slid around my waist, and Eugene pulled me close to him.  "So, how was your afternoon?"  He whispered in my ear. 
Glad my back was to him, so he couldn't see my struggle for composure, I shrugged my shoulders up to my ears.  "Mmph.  Did I wake y-you?"  My voice cracked, and I wanted to kick myself for it.
Ignoring my question, he persisted with his own.  "What happened?" 
"I don't want to talk about it," I mumbled, burying my face in the blanket.  I felt him stroke my hair a few times. 
"C'mon..." he requested.  "Please?" 
I ignored him...for a few minutes.  And then I huffed, flopping onto my back before I let the whole story loose.  I was crying by the time I finished.
Eugene gave me a careful stare.  "I'm sorry, hon...I'm sure she didn't mean it, though..she just acted before she thought-"
I shook my head, turning to my side so I could face him. "She's just like everyone else.  She got tired of me.  Everyone does!" 
I put a hand over my face and rubbed at my forehead, which was starting to throb with the threaten of a headache, but then I felt a hand squeeze my shoulder.  When I looked up, he was staring at me compassionately.  And then I realized...Someone DID care.  And as far as I could tell, he wasn't going anywhere.  Sitting up, I just simply lost it and broke down. I curled into a ball, burying my face in my knees.  I heard Eugene sit up next to me, before I felt him reach for me.  I grabbbed him and held him tight, sobbing into his shirt.  He silently held me close until my sobs subsided. 
When I pulled away, he brushed the hair from my face, pulling me into his lap. 
"Thank you," I said quietly, rubbing at my nose. 
"For what?" he asked, giving me a confused expression. 
"Being there for me," I told him, my face getting hot with mild embarrassment as I thought about how silly all this probably sounded to him.
"Oh, hon, no problem.  Don't be afraid to talk to me about anything, okay?" 
I nodded silently, leaning up against him and wondering what would become of Anna and my friendship, Anna and Elsa...and even Anna and Kristoff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment