Thursday, February 13, 2014

Frozen Engagements and Other...Interesting...News...

So....today was interesting. 
Deciding that I hadn't seen Anna or Elsa in awhile, this afternoon I decided to see if anyone was interested in going for a walk.
Eugene had already told me to take a day to have some fun, so after I gave him and the girls hugs and 'see-you-later's, I popped up onto the shelf above us.
"Hey, guys!"  I called to anyone who'd listen.  Punzie immediately gave me a look, but I overlooked that.
What I wasn't expecting was to see both Elsa and Anna with ribbons in their hair. 
"Hey, sis!"  Zelia said,  but I was too busy staring at the Frozen sisters, eyes wide. 
She came over to me, and so I grabbed her wrist and dragged her to a corner of the shelf.
"When'd THAT happen?!"  I whispered, jerking my head in their general direction. 
"Two..days ago, I think?"  She said, squinting as she thought. 
"Why didn't you tell me - wait.  Why didn't THEY tell me?!  Did they get engaged at the same time?" 
"Yeah.  Uh...I'm sorry, I just...Anna...UGH."  Zelia broke off, shaking her head. "Anna immediately pulled me aside and told me to not tell you.  Their big double wedding is going to be the 28th...she invited me, but then added not to tell you THAT, either.  When I asked why, she said it was because you were so - and I quote - 'clumsy, and she didn't want you to do something to distract from their big day'.  Elsa wasn't happy, and Hans and Kristoff weren't pleased, either, but Anna's making sure you don't get invited.  I told her that I wasn't attending the wedding unless you were allowed to come, too." 
I felt my neck get hot with pain and anger.  "Why...Ugh, I don't even want to know why I get treated like this anymore...Zelia, you go to the wedding.  You shouldn't-"
"NO!  I refuse to go if she's gonna act like that!" 
I took a deep breath, an idea forming in my mind.  "Why don't we go for a walk?" 
"Sure...?"  Zelia gave me a confused look. 
"But first.."  I walked right over to where Anna and Elsa were sitting with their fiances, planning their double wedding and giggling like crazy.  "Hey, girls...congratulations, by the way!"
Anna gasped, whirling to look at me.  "Oh!  Um, uh...thanks."
"When's the wedding?"  I asked, trying to appear innocent. 
"Umm...we haven't decided yet, but we're-"
"February 28th," Elsa broke her off. 
"But we didn't plan to invite you, cause you know...with you having the kids and everything now, we figured you'd be too busy." 
Elsa gave her a disgusted look before standing up.  "She's lying.  I'm sorry."  Was all she whispered in my ear before she moved away from her sister.
I gave her a quick nod before saying, "Well...you're right.  I am busy, but we still would have come.  Congratulations, though, to all four of you." 
Hans mouthed a 'sorry' right before I left the shelf quickly, Zelia hastily following suit. 

We were silent until we got to the floor. 
"Thanks for telling me the truth, Zelia."  I mumbled.  "I can't believe this." 
She shook her head.  "I don't, either.  Of all the people...you know what?!  Anna doesn't deserve your attendance at that wedding, anyway!  Elsa might, but not Anna!" 
I shrugged my shoulders up to my ears, willing my churning emotions to quiet.  "I'm trying to not get mad, but it's really hard.  I should be used to this anyway." 
"No, you should never get used to-"
"Weeeelll, I did.  I shouldn't be surprised, anyway.  But regardless.  I'm over it.  I'm done.  Why don't you go to the wedding so you can give me a good insider report on it?" 
"I'm sure it will stink and be boring, plus I don't want  to go if you're not allowed to go."  Zelia said adamantly, and then we basically just walked in silence for awhile.  My mind was too muddled to say anything, and I was afraid I was going to cry if I said anything.  "Well, I'm going back.  You coming?"
"Nahh...you go on ahead.  Thanks again, for being honest.  And for coming for a walk," I gave her a convincing grin, and she gave me a look that told me she read right through my brave face, but she nodded and left. 

I walked for awhile after Zelia left.  I needed to have some time alone to think and I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cry -- I didn't want to cry in front of the girls, nor did I want to in front of Eugene...especially over something so silly and idiotic! 

Hm, right. 
I'd made it about halfway across the room when I heard footsteps rapidly approaching me from behind.  Then, I felt a hand on my shoulder. 
I turned quickly to see none other than my husband. 
"Eugene!"  I gasped, hoping he hadn't noticed I'd been crying.  "Wh...what are you doing here?  Where are the girls?  How'd you find me?"
He left his hand on my shoulder.  "Zelia came back, immediately telling me that I should hunt you down and talk to you.  And she offered to watch the girls for us for as long as we wanted, so there is absolutely NO hurry.  What's wrong?"
"Nothing."  I said, a little too fast. 
"Well, there's obviously something.  Let's see.  You never go for unexplained walks, your sister was worried about you, you look distressed, and your eyes are rimmed with red.  I'd say there's something wrong."  I sighed, and turned me so he could look me in the eye, setting his other hand on my shoulder, too.  "Tell me.  Please?" 
"It's stupid.  You'll laugh at me for this..." I trailed off, but then I dove into the whole spiel.  About how Anna hadn't told me, but she'd instead told my sister.  How she'd lied to my face, basically.  That she didn't want me at the wedding because she knew I'd become the center of attention...because of my awkwardness.  "And do you finally see why I can't stand myself?  I bet you always thought that I was overreacting when I said that sooner or later, everyone ditches me because of my awkwardness.  Well, I wasn't!  I wish I wasn't this way.  If I weren't so awkward, maybe I could actually have a friend or two.  And you...you are the one doll who's stuck with me the longest, and quite frankly, I'm sorry you have to have a wife like me.  You could've done so much better  - with some pretty doll who's smart and pretty, elegant, graceful...and you end up with frumpy, awkward old me for the rest of your plastic life.  You deserve more.  You're so perfect, and...then there's me." I finished my rant, which had lasted a surprising amount of time.

He swallowed...took a deep breath...and thought for a minute.  "You know, Rapunzel...while I'm a bit mad at Anna for being like this...and I can completely understand your angst....I don't really know how to word this, so bear with me, and I'm sorry if I offend you, but this has been a long time coming, and I feel that this is the appropriate time to tell you this.  You're blind, my dear girl.  You are blind as a bat.  All you see is...is minor imperfections and dolls who don't like you.  But at the same time, you can see the best in other dolls.  You need to start seeing the best in yourself-"
"Don't you see?  I can't - I can't because there's not much good IN me!"  I broke him off, to which he gave my shoulders a gentle shake, telling me to listen. 
"NO.  There you go again!  Let me tell you this, Rapunzel.  You need to pay more attention to the fact that your sister loves you, your daughters both love you, and I love you!  Do you really need to focus on the past; on dolls that were only temporary, untrue friends?  No.  You don't.  And you'll only bring yourself down more by doing so.  And..and you say I'M perfect?!  To most, I'm about as imperfect as it gets!  I'm shy, I'm awkward at times, I'm not the 'bad boy' type, and oh, let's not forget about how bad I am with words!  And yet you think I'm perfect.  And YOU - most dolls see you and see your awkwardness, your shyness, and your quietness...and they don't like what they see.  But when I look at you...I see perfection.  Your daughters see perfection - in different ways, of course.  Your sister sees perfection.  Well..maybe not perfection, but she still loves you, and you can't deny any of this.  You don't see the beauty in yourself.  You might not be all made up and bold like the others, but it's what's on the INSIDE that counts.  And you're pretty on the outside to boot - which is a rare combination.  When I-I...when I see you...what you don't see is your sweet smile.  Your big green eyes, full of curiosity and kindness.  How you stood up for Elsa when Anna was being nasty to her.  The love pouring from your eyes when you hold our little girls.  The adorable way you laugh and cover your eyes after you've done something silly or awkward.  And you have to be a pretty special person to love me, and to love and accept your sister, especially after what she did.  Let alone not totally wig out on Anna earlier...  I could go on, but I won't.  And don't you ever - I repeat, EVER - apologize for marrying me, based off of your 'imperfections' or 'appearance'.  Rapunzel, you're the b-best thing that's ever happened to me -- you and the girls -- and I don't know w-what I'd do without you...any of you...and it drives me purely MAD that you think so low of yourself, and I wish I could show you how much we all love you, and that you don't need to, nor should you, focus on the negatives in life!" 

After his incredibly lengthy speech, he took a deep breath, huffing.  I wasn't sure what to make of what he'd just said.  When his brown eyes held mine in an intense, compassionate gaze, the wheels turned in my head.  I'd spent all my life trying to please everyone; trying to hide who I was.  Trying to be elegant and graceful, un-awkward, just so I could be accepted.  And after Eugene came around, I stopped hiding myself from everyone.  Sure, this caused so much grief in my life that it wasn't even funny, but geesh.  Recently, I've been so focused on those who didn't like me...when I hadn't even stopped to think about Zelia, Jordan, Audrey, and Eugene loving me for who I was and accepting me.  Why had  I been focusing on everyone else for so long, when I could've been happy and oblivious all this time?  I knew it was a habit from previous homes, but I really needed to drop that habit. 
My eyes filled with tears as this sunk in, and I grabbed my husband into a tight hug, burying my face into his shoulder.  He hesitated, but then held me close, placing a few kisses in my hair.  We just stood in one another's embrace for a little bit, until I pulled away.  
"Thank you for...um...that speech.  You've hit the nail on the head, and yeah, I'm blind.  I'm sor-"
He pulled  me close again, giving me an impulsive, gentle kiss.  "Don't apologize, okay?" 
I nodded.  "I ever tell you how much I love you?  I probably haven't told you enough." 
"Hmm..." he gave me that adorable grin of his.  "I could stand to hear it again, though.  But, as far as the wedding...want to crash it in our own, shy way?  We'll find out when and where, and watch from afar.  And then you can freak Anna or Elsa out if you talk to them again, and be like 'oh yeah, your wedding was cool'."  He attempted to ease up the mood.
I giggled, giving him a shove.  "Absolutely not.  You're such a goofball." 
"You wouldn't love me any other way - admit it," he winked as we started to head for our shelf. 
I wrapped an arm around his waist, feeling relieved after our talk.  "No...I wouldn't.  Thanks for the talk."
"It make you feel better?  I was a bit worried to tell you, because I figured there was a fifty-fifty chance - either you'd have THIS reaction, or you'd blow up in my face."  He put an arm around my shoulders and squeezed, and we stayed quiet for the rest of the walk back to the shelf. 
As soon as we came back to our shelf, Zelia gave me a knowing look, likely meaning that (since it was around eight), the girls were asleep. 
I nodded, and she quietly came over. 
"He talk to you?"  She asked in a whisper. 
"Yeah," I said quietly. "Quite the speech, but one I really needed." 
She surprised me by giving me a tight hug.  "I love you, sis.  I should've told you about them before-"
"It's fine.  Love you, too," I told her, returning her sisterly embrace. 
"See you tomorrow."  She said, and then she left. 

Whew..Okay.  Soo...What do I do now?  Do I try to figure out what's bugged Anna, or do I take Eugene's advice, let it go, and just focus on those who care about me?  Hmmmph....

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! You should totally take Eugene's idea and watch the wedding! That would be hilarious to creep Anna out! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I may do it yet..we'll just have to see :P By the way, hope you have a nice Valentine's Day!
      ~Rapunzel

      Delete