Tuesday, February 4, 2014

How We Spent Our 2 Month Anni...

This morning, I woke up late.  Jordan had been up almost all night, so I'd been up and down...and up and down...and up and down with her, almost all night.  Eugene had gotten up with her some too, of course.
But when I woke up this morning, everyone else was up, and Eugene was carrying a screaming Jordan whilst frantically trying to get Audrey to not pull Pascal's tail.  Or try to mess with his...tongue...
Did I even want to get up? 
Sighing, I tried to sit up, but I quickly realized that I was tangled up in my own hair. 
Oh boy. 
Revision:  No.  I definitely don't want to get up. 
I started working on disentangling myself, and then I stood up, blinking tiredly. 
Eugene, who must've finally persuaded Audrey to behave (for now), noticed me and came over. 
I half expected him to shove Jordan into my arms, based off of the harried expression on his face, but he immediately gave me a small smile, shifting a still wailing Jordan to his other arm so he could slip the other around my waist. 
"Morning,"  he said, sneaking a quick kiss onto my forehead. 
"Morning.  Want me to take her?"  I asked. 
"If you want to...but, ah...." he trailed off, glancing towards Audrey. "No, no, no, honey.  Pascal doesn't want to" - he broke off and cringed - "to be carried by his tail!  Set him down, please-" Breaking off once more, he gave me an overwhelmed and alarmed expression, so I slipped away from him to save Pascal. 
"Audrey, sweetie, don't carry Pascal by his tail, okay?  Hold him like this."  I demonstrated  how to hold Pascal, and she nodded, reaching to try for herself.  "There we go.  You don't want Pascal to get hurt, right?" 
"No.  I'm sorry, Pascal," she said, giving him a very serious expression. 
"Atta girl," I told her, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek and watching her tear off to do something else before I went to stand and go help Eugene with Jordan. 
He was walking up right behind me just as I turned to go to him. 
"Oh!"  I jumped back, surprised.  I stomped on my own hair and almost tripped myself, so Eugene grabbed me with his free hand, laughing.  When I had my balance back, I thanked him before turning my attention to our youngest - and somehow loudest - little family member.  "Oh my...does my little girl want to come on over here?"  I asked her, tickling her belly in an attempt to get  her to stop crying. 
"I have a feeling that she's crying because she didn't get much sleep last night," Eugene told me, and I nodded. 
"Probably...I can't blame her!"  I laughed.  "Lemme see if I can quiet her down long enough to go to sleep, 'kay?"
"Okay," he told me - without hesitation, I noticed.. xD -, so I reached to scoop her out of his arms.

I never considered how distressing it truly is to hear a baby cry and you can't do anything about it. 
By the afternoon, I'd convinced myself that I was a horrible mother, there was no quieting Jordan, and I was obviously doing something wrong.  Jordan just kept fighting sleep and crying.  I tried to keep laying her down in her bed, trying to get her to sleep, but she wouldn't have that, either.  And by the afternoon, she was too worked up to even think about sleeping!  I took her for a walk when Audrey went to take a nap, just so we wouldn't have TWO grumpy girls. 

Our two-month anniversary went by...loudly.  Eugene and I had decided earlier that, since the girls had just come here, we wouldn't do anything for our two month anniversary until the tenth of February - instead of doing something for Valentine's Day AND our anniversary on seperate days, we were combining it into a day-long outing.  Not sure how we were going to wing it, seeing as Zelia hasn't made it over to see the girls as of yet.  I'm not sure she WANTS to come see them quite yet!  She'd be scarred for life. 
When we *FINALLY* got Jordan to go to sleep for the first time all day long...around 1 in the morning...I was about to drop dead out of exhaustion.  Audrey had somehow managed to fall asleep at nine o' clock and stay asleep through Jordan's frequent whimpering; I wish I knew HOW!  When I finally put her in bed and had covered her up, flicking the lamp off, I went to go to (or stumble to; I was blinded by the fact that the lamp wasn't on anymore) bed, but thudded into something. 
"Wh-whoa," I muttered, moving to go around whatever it was, blinking in an attempt to get some of my vision back.  I guess it must've been Eugene that I bumped into, because I felt a hand touch my side. 

"It's just me," he whispered, and I nodded, able to see just a wee bit better.  And then I felt him pick me up. 
"Wait, wait..wait a sec," I tried to keep from gasping in surprise.  "I can walk to bed!" 
He just wordlessly gave me a kiss on the forehead before taking me over and setting me down in bed before crawling up into bed himself.
Flopping onto his back, he gently pulled on my arm, so I put my head on his chest, sprawling an arm out across him.  "You looked tired." 
I stifled a laugh.  "Honey, I was literally three or four steps away from the bed.  But thank you." 
He draped an arm around me.  "Sorry we didn't do anything today...I didn't forget-"
"Oh goodness, Eugene.  You don't have to apologize!  It's fine, and if we do something on the tenth, that'll be just fine."  I whispered, moving so I could give him a quick kiss. 

I had no more than let my head rest on his shoulder again with a sigh, pulling the blankets up snug to my chin and getting nice, warm, and cozy...than Jordan started crying again.

It's gonna be a long night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment