Sunday, September 21, 2014

Ariel

Hey, guys - so as Eugene mentioned (his post is right here, if you haven't read it), I haven't posted all week because I've been wanting to hang out with him and the kids, and Tangled Fan also has been hogging her tablet.   Using it for research for school, I guess....it's irritating, nonetheless!  But without further ado..

Today, everyone came over to finally hear Eugene's tale.  By everyone, I mean Zarina, Logan, Fitz, Ariel, Punzie, Belle, as well as Zelia and Ray.  Obviously, Zelia and Ray had already heard his story, buuuut they came over anyway.
When the tale was over with around three, the girls were tuckered out.  They'd been up early, so I got them carried over and tucked into bed while Eugene finished up his story, and then checked on Jordan and Zach, who had fallen asleep a little bit earlier.  I get the feeling that Jordan may or may not be coming down with something....oh boy.  :\ 
Anyway, by the time I was done, everyone had filtered back over to their side of the table, all except for Ariel and Logan.  I gave them a curious expression, and Ariel asked Logan to wait up for her.
What was she up to?
She strode over to Eugene, plastering that smile across her face. 
Oh, great. 
"How could you possibly have made it back safely?  How did you keep motivated?"  she asked. 
Eugene shot a glance towards me, but I stood frozen, watching how he would handle the situation.  Would he blow her off, or would he be cordial?  I wasn't sure which I would prefer he do.  When Ariel followed his glance to me, but then looked over her shoulder at Logan, I saw what was going on. 
She was killing two birds with one stone. 
She knew she couldn't have Eugene, but she still wanted to get to me, and she was also doing this to get Logan's attention.  Playing hard to get and using Eugene, just like how Flynn had used me.  I sucked in a deep breath, wondering if anyone else realized that.
"My kids," Eugene answered her.  "They kept me motivated, as well as my girl, of course." 
"Rapunzel?"  she wrinkled her nose, and actually stepped closer to him.  I glanced at her somewhat provocative dress and my face flamed hot with anger.  I wanted to yell at her, but I couldn't wake the kids.  Instead, I decided to see how Eugene would handle this himself. 
Why I was doubting him, I didn't really know.  Maybe because I wasn't sure if this past month had changed him...I don't know. 
He nodded.  "Yep...Rapunzel," 
"I can't imagine how coming home to her could be much of a motivation.  I mean....come on.  She's so...bland."  I looked towards Logan, who was officially staring at the two of them.  She'd gotten what she wanted: his full attention, and she'd gotten me mad.  To boot, she'd gotten Eugene's full attention, too.  It hurt.  It'd been a long time since I had dealt with these kinds of insults, and I guess I've gotten rusty at dealing.  I bit the inside of my cheek and made for the cutout, wanting to go behind it. 
"Well, I guess--I guess I'll, um, go check on Jordan, I think she might be up...okay, Eugene?" I announced.  I planned to listen to Eugene's response from the other side of the cutout.  Nobody knew that I was headed for the wrong side of the cutout to check on the kids, and Eugene didn't even notice me.  He was just staring at her with an unreadable expression. 
As I noticed this, I didn't pay attention to my feet, annnd I tripped.  My face blazing, I stumbled for the cutout as Ariel gave a charming giggle. 
"Plus, she's clumsy, it seems....oh, dear.  Aren't you going to answer me?"

I slipped behind the cutout and dove for the bed, burying my face in the blankets before I could scream in frustration.  She was completely right, but why was I letting her get to me?  Or was it because of Eugene's lack of a response? 
I listened for him to answer, but I could simply hear hushed tones.  What did that mean?  I gulped, tears slipping down my cheeks when I started wondering if he was truly satisfied with having me as his wife.  I mean....why would he be, especially if a pretty young thing like Ariel shows up?  I heard rapid footsteps, and I hoped it was Ariel and Logan leaving.  I took a shuddering breath as soon as I thought of Logan.  Seeing her try to use Eugene in the same manner that Flynn used me had opened up a lot of memories I didn't want to remember, and wished I would've forgotten forever after my accident.  Unfortunately, they had come back, as well as a lot of other memories. 
And I still wasn't even sure why I didn't trust Eugene.  You'd think that if he came back to us after his month-long disappearance, he'd take that as an opportunity to never come back if he was that way.  But...I just really lack trust, I guess. 

As I was pondering these things, Eugene himself appeared, leaning one shoulder up against the edge of the cutout. 
"Hey, what's--" I shot upright in bed, involuntarily doing a weird gasp-sob, and stared at him. 
"Oh!  Um, n-nothing.  I just...I-" I felt how damp my cheeks were, and wanted to wipe them, but I didn't want to draw attention to my crying if he hadn't noticed. 
His expression changed, and his eyebrows furrowed as he stepped to the edge of the bed.  "What's wrong, honey?"
Did I really have to explain that?!  I shook my head.  "Nothing." 
"Mmm, but the way you just answered tells me there's a lot wrong," he pointed out, sitting down beside me and holding a hand out.  I didn't take it; I just buried my face in my hands. 
"It's stupid.  I'm mad over Ariel, and her little show back there, and I know I shouldn't think the way I was thinking, and I shouldn't let her get to me, but....and then you just acted like you couldn't even see or hear me, and..." I gulped.  "Eugene, answer me truthfully.  I hate to do this or even think of this, but are you happy with me? And do you even know what she was doing back there?!" 
The second I was done talking - I'm surprised he let me get the whole way through my speech without breaking me off, which surprised and concerned me -- he fairly pried my hands away from my face, replacing them with his own.  "Sweetheart..." his voice cracked, and I looked up to meet his eyes.  I set my jaw, trying not to be affected by his obvious distress.  "Oh, sweetheart....I'm so sorry.  Of course I'm happy.  You mean the world to me, and y-you're...you're everything I ever wanted.  I'm sorry.  I did notice you, b-but I was so intent on trying not to scream at her that I couldn't even turn my head.  I was afraid that if I opened my mouth, I wouldn't be able to stop yelling.  I couldn't bear how she was talking to you...you have every right to be mad at me, though.  Every single right. But what was she doing, other than the obvious?" 
"She was using you to get Logan's attention.  Just like how Flynn used me," my own voice cracked, which I couldn't stand.  He shut his eyes, nodding, and his hands left my face, reaching for me as if he wanted to hug me.  He must've known that I wouldn't let him, not quite yet, so he let his hands drop. 
"I'm so sorry," he said quietly.  "I didn't even realize that..."
I nodded. "The only reason I did was  because...you know." 
Eugene nodded silently.  "I know.  Honey, I can't tell you how bad I feel that I didn't notice, and didn't say anything to you, and that I made you wonder if I'm happy with you.  You're my best girl, Rapunzel - always was and always will be.  Nothing will change that or come between us, you hear me?  Nothing." 
I took a deep, shuddering breath.  "I-I was stupid to even think that...sor-"
"Don't you say it.  It's fine, and I can understand.  I've been gone for almost a month, and then that happens.  A lot can happen and change in a month, so it's understandable."  I looked down at my lap and nodded again.  I was still an idiot.  "Hey."  he reached to cup my chin in his hand, pulling my face up to meet his eyes. 
"What?"  I asked.
"I know that look.  Gosh, I was hoping I'd never see that look again.  Don't pay any heed to what she says, okay?  C'mere,"
I swallowed, but I reached to slip my arms around his middle, burying my face in his shoulder and sighing.  He slid his arms around me and planted a few kisses in my hair before speaking up again.  "If she ever shows her face again, I'll be surprised, to be honest." 
I pulled away.  "Huh?  Why?" 
"I told her off.  Like...I really, REALLY told her off."  he cleared his throat. 
"What'd you say?" 
"I told her that she didn't know anything, she needed to buzz off, and if she ever comes anywhere near you or the kids again, I'd tell Tangled Fan to put her back in her box, and I was sure that most everyone else, especially Zarina, would agree and back us.  She hoofed it out of here pretty quickly.  Maybe I was a bit too nasty, but I don't really care.  She didn't need to be doing any of what she was doing." 
I took a deep, fairly surprised breath.  "Well...you do have a point, though.  I don't want her anywhere near the kids." When I heard a quiet cry, I paused.  "Speaking of which...it sounds like Jordan's awake." 
Eugene nodded, reaching to give me a quick peck on the cheek before letting me go get Jordan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment