Saturday, September 13, 2014

Zarina's Notes--Rapunzel and Her Brood

Hey, guys-it's Zarina.
Yesterday was Zachary's one-month birthday.  Obviously, Rapunzel didn't throw a party or anything for it, but it was a milestone of sorts.  He had been so weak and premature when he was born that it was kind of a big thing that he'd reached one month old and was going strong.
Rapunzel didn't do anything special for him, but she just held him a lot yesterday.  That was enough to please him for the day!  He's not been getting near as much attention as he'd like, not since Eugene's death.
Today, I went over to talk to Rapunzel and help her with her kids.
She was especially down today, I mean...she's been in the dumps since the 23rd, but she was really bad today.
Audrey was at one end of their side of the table, with Pascal, and Casey was hanging around her mother.  Jordan was amusing herself, and Rapunzel was holding a whimpering Zachary.
I cleared my throat.  "Need help?"
She looked up, alarmed, but quickly answered me.  "Oh!  Hello.  Uh...yeah, if you're not busy."
"Me, busy?" I shook my head, kneeling down to talk to Casey, who had come over and promptly started pleading with me to play with her.

I played with Casey and helped with Jordan until their four o' clock nap.  Rapunzel toted a fussy Zachary around and tried to talk to Audrey, which failed hugely.
When they were all settled for their naps, Rapunzel thanked me.
"You don't have to come over and help, Zarina.  I mean, you've only been here about a month, you've got things to do and people to get acquainted with.  I appreciate it s lot, though," she added quickly.
"It's fine.  I enjoy helping out over here...those individuals on the other side are complete jerks.  If I'm not over here, I'm sitting on Tangled Fan's old saddle by myself, usually reading.  So no biggie," I said, "but I do wonder why you're so down today.  What's up?"
Rapunzel shook her head, dropping her gaze to her lap.  Her pained eyes spoke volumes.  "He, uh....one year ago today, I met Eu-Eugene.  Of all things, I fell--we were over on that shelving unit over there," she gestured vaguely.  "Of all things, I'd fallen and caught myself on the electric cord of an alarm clock that was there at the time.  This..this random guy helped me up, a-and I was so shy and embarrassed, but he was, too...and somehow, out of that, we kindled a friendship and...and then got married." she gulped, fighting for composure.  I felt bad for asking her why she was so upset.
"Oh...I'm so sorry," I said quietly.
She shook her head.  "It's... It's fine.  I-I...Zarina, do you ever feel like if you'd never met someone, the other person would have benefitted?"
I shook my head.  I'd only been here a month, after all.
But I could see where she was heading with it.
"At least...I mean, going off of what back story Zelia provided me with at one point...at least you had each other for that amount of time.  I mean, he loved you.  He would've been lonely without you."
"But he'd still be alive," she rubbed at her nose and wouldn't look at me.
"Living a crappy and lonely life," I added.  I didn't say any more.
She nodded silently.  When she didn't say anything more, just staring at her lap, I decided that I had failed at trying to make her feel better and I needed to just leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment